Monday, November 10, 2008

Paris Day 4

The Eiffel Tower at night was so beautiful! Andrea's friend Rebekah came over and had dinner with us in the apartment and then we went to the tower and it was breathtaking! I was impressed. I'm glad I saw it lit up at night and then every hour on the hour, it sparkles for like 5 mins! It was very cool. 

This morning Andrea and I went to The Louvre and I was again blown away by the art in there. My favorite were the French paintings. I like the art that actually looks like real people and tells a story. A lot of art like Picasso's stuff doesn't look like real life and that's not really my thing. But the paintings were beautiful. The statues were awesome - my favorite was The Winged Victory. It's a woman's body with no arms or head but big wings coming out of her back. I saw the Mona Lisa. The fame of that picture has ruined the enjoyment of the art. Ropes keep you like 10 feet away from her and there's plexiglass in front of it. Sad. We also saw the remains of the fortress, which is the original Louvre that they didn't find until the 1980s when they were putting in heating for museum. 

After the Louvre we met up with 2 of Andrea's friends and had lunch off Rue Muffetard and then went to the red light district and took a picture in front of the Moulin Rouge. Very interesting area of Paris. Tickets to see a show at the Moulin Rouge are like $100ish. We met up with Remi and then went to Sacre Cour - this huge church on the top of a hill. While we were walking back down, everyone insisted I try Nutella in a crepe so I did and it was really good. I like crepes a lot, especially with Nutella :). Now EA and I are just taking it easy tonight and cooking in the apartment and chilling. 

My feet are killing me from all the walking around the city and the walking up and down stairs to get in and out of the Metro. But it's so much fun. I love how the Parisians dress and I love the scarves, boots, coats. I love taking the metro but I've heard it gets old. I love the cafes and openness of the restaurants and stores. I love the closeness of the lifestyle here - the small tables, small doors, tiny staircases, tiny bathrooms. I wonder if it would get old though. I don't like the lack of toilettes in the city and that you sometimes have to pay to use them. I don't like the lack of water fountains. This has been such a neat experience and Andrea has been such a trooper the whole time and so patient with me while I experience it all for the first time. I wish I didn't have to come home so soon. :) 

No comments: