Saturday, November 8, 2008

Paris Day 2

I'm in Paris! Everything went fine with the flight over here. When I got to the airport I managed to make it through customs, get my bag, find the RER (train) station, purchase a ticket and get on the right train. However when I got on the train, I pull out my cell phone to text my mom that I made it and text my cousin, Andrea that I was on the way and realize my phone does NOT work here. I called AT&T before I left to ask them and they said it would and gave me the rates and everything. But it didn't.

So I start getting nervous, plus the train was skipping a lot of stops so I was scared it might skip mine and then I would never find Andrea. But luckily it stopped at Denfert Rochereau and I got off and looked around for Andrea and she was no where to be seen. So I start to panic a little but think maybe she's running late for her class. So I just sit at the metro station and just wait for awhile. But really I'm starting to panic because I have no way of contacting anyone and I have no way of communicating with the people around me for help and I have no idea where in Paris I am and no idea where to go if Andrea never shows up. After failing at asking a few Parisians if they speak English, I finally find a young man who does and he helps me try to buy a phone card to use on a public phone to call Andrea. But in order to find a public phone we walk upstairs to ground level to exit the train station and I see Andrea waiting for me!!! Phew! I was really starting to panic. I thought I was just going to get back on the train and go back to the airport because more people speak English there and could help me call Andrea. But she was there. I figured out later it makes a lot of sense she was waiting for me upstairs because in order to enter the metro station you have to purchase a ticket and she didn't want to get on the metro, just pick me up but I didn't even know the top floor existed. I thought I was just supposed to wait for her down by the train. 

Paris is so much fun with Andrea!!! I'm loving it. I'll update more later because our apartment has free internet and Andrea brought her laptop. Paris is awesome. I saw Tuileries, the Arc de Triomphe via Champs Elysee, Saint Chapelle cathedral and Notre Dame. Andrea and I are about to go meet her French friend Remi to see Quantom of Solace. So fun!!!! :)

No comments: