Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Teach English Abroad

For so long now, I've wanted to have some kind of go-abroad experience. Literally for probably almost 4 years now. Ever since my eyes were opened to the world around me (~after sophomore year of college), I've been wanting to go, go, go. So far the only time I've been out of the country was a 4-day trip to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico with my college bf (random, yes) and last November's trip to Paris. Part of the reason was my parents hesitations, financial burden and busy-ness with school. But now I am free to make my own decisions and basically take my life into my own hands.

Since I didn't get the opportunity to study abroad, I have to be creative with getting this abroad experience. It's not enough for me to just visit a country for a week or so, I want to live in the country. To really understand the culture and learn the language. So what kind of opportunities exist for someone like me who wants to do a STINT in another country? The best thing I can come up with is teaching English as a second language. This past week has been a whirlwind of planning, scheming, researching, praying, freaking out, etc. At first I was thinking of going with CIEE, but that didn't work out. Now I'm thinking Oxford Seminars. I need guidance so I can't just get TEFL certified and then move to the country and find a job. I need help for sure.

Soooo where in the world do I want to go? Spain. I desire to learn Spanish so much. If I can't find a job in Spain, I'll look in South America. One of the countries in the northern part of South America. No worries though... I'm not packing up tomorrow. My brother is getting married September 12th so I'll be here for that but the Spanish school system starts school shortly after October 1st. Just 9 months abroad. Not too long. I may totally mess up my life plan and have to come back and find a place to live, find a job, relocate my furniture but I may NEVER have the opportunity to live abroad again. I must go now while I can. Besides, living in a different culture is on my 8 things I want to do before I die.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope your travels to Honduras are fruitful. I will be checking your blog for updates.