Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Decisions

"He still had some doubts about the decision he had made. But he was able to understand one thing: making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision."
-The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho

Indecisiveness is my weakness. I'm terrible about making big decisions. I always ask someone's opinion before I make a big decision. Usually it's my parent's. But we make decisions all the time and it's important to be able to make wise decisions. Some examples of my indecisiveness have been moving out of my parent's house, buying a new car, changing jobs, going to Honduras with my church, etc...

But this book is all about following your dreams and realizing your destiny. It follows this young man as he realizes his dream and leaves everything behind to puruse it. Even when difficult times come his way, he finds ways to make the best of the situation. Even when he doubts himself, he sticks with his pursuit. I feel like life would be richer and I would enjoy more opportunities that way. I just started the book so a lot of it hasn't sunk in yet for me to say how I feel but this quote meant a lot to me. I want to learn how to not be afraid to make decisions.

No comments: