Friday, March 27, 2009

Honduras trip

Can I just say in one word... amazing!!!

Run down of what all we did:
Friday - arrived in San Pedro Sula, waited in the VIP room while are luggage and passports were processed, went to our hotel
Saturday - in-country orientation in the morning, San Ramon private Catholic orphanage (~35 all boys) and had a Texas party with lots of fun games for the kids
Sunday - church at our Honduran leader's home church, our pastor preaches and Frances translated, Nueva Esperanza, government orphanage for a Texas party and taking care of the babies
Monday - Wednesday - VBS twice a day with San Ramon orphange
Wednesday afternoon - loaded all the boys and caregivers on our bus, stop at Burger King for lunch and spend the afternoon at the beach.
Wednesday evening - said goodbye to kids :(
Thursday - trip to Copan to see the Mayan ruins
Thursday evening - Farewell party and hanging out with our translators
Friday - leave to go back to Houston

It's hard to really put into words how great this trip was. I had no expectations going into the trip but it blew me away. I loved everything about it... the people, the culture, the language, the scenery, the weather, even the food! Well we did enjoy our breaks from Honduran food for McDonalds and Pizza Hut.

This was the first time for me to see poverty. Nothing compares to this in US. There is so much NEED in Honduras, it's hard for me to return to the US and live here. I never knew how rich I am here. I have an abundance and until you see people who live like the Hondurans, you don't realize it. I will never complain or wish I had more again.

I definitely will be returning to Honduras. I don't know when or for how long but one thing right now is really important... learning Spanish. I've already started but I realize this will be a slow process. However I am committed to it and will spend time everyday learning and soaking up as much as I can through several different avenues. My long-term goal is to be conversational by next summer.

Our picture site:
http://jvbchondurastripmarch09.shutterfly.com/

No comments: