Friday, March 27, 2009

Gra-th-ias

I thought I wanted to go to Spain to teach and learn Spanish but something quickly changed my mind. Well 2 things really...

1) I loved the culture in Honduras and felt very comfortable with it.
2) I downloaded some free podcasts for learning Spanish and was listening to it on the way to Bible study on Tuesday night. They got through the greetings and how are you's and got to saying Thank You. And this is what they said... grathias. I was like, what is that?? The man said this lesson would teach how to say words the way they speak in mainland Spain. I'm sorry but being from Houston, TX and hearing gra-see-as my whole life, I don't think I could ever get myself to say gra-thee-us. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Therefore, I love Latin America and will stick to saying gracias.

2 comments:

La Gringa said...

I feel the same way. It sounds like Spanish with a lisp to me. ;-) Whenever El Jefe hears that style of Spanish on TV, he makes fun of it.

It may be the 'proper' way, but....it's all in what you are used to, I suppose.

(Thanks for the link!)

Unknown said...

Grathias for this blog arthicle. I understandth. I used Coffee Break Spanish podcasts to brush up on my Spanish, and most of the pronunications were focused on the language of Spain.